A bit of "creative" writing.

 I'm doing a paper in Creative Writing (introduction) this semester. I had to do my first writing prompt, a poem, in the third person. No "I" or from my own viewpoint. So... I've bravely submitted it. I thought that some of you may like to read it also. 


The Mimic”

The day begins with light,

The warmth blooming on their skin,

And they feel happy,

The realm within them is right, just right.

 

Smiling at those passing by,

Laughing over shared intimate stories,

Warm takeaway coffee in their hand,

The sounds chaotic and strident in the street.

 

They feel almost euphoric,

The world around them is buoyant and continuous,

The promise of more good days ahead,

The light in them brighter.

 

But there is a blackened shadow, looming

Behind their person,

Mimicking their every move,

With a certain sense of irony and mockery.

 

Later, night falls with a hush,

Deep in slumber, their fragile sleep punctured

By splintered imagery flicking past like a slideshow,

The shadow lifts a black hand

To caress their sleep-flushed cheek,

It murmurs raspy whispers

Threading through the blood like a cold mist;

I am always here.


- Dallas Sword

Comments